Since changing my diet up and going pescetarian, I’ve managed to find a plethora of ways to “fish-ify” several meaty faves; I’ve turned chicken piccata into tilapia piccata, jerk chicken tacos into jerk fish tacos, and steak salads into substantial shrimp salads.
But you just *can’t* fish-ify a hot dog.
Because of this, us pesces are left to go the vegetarian route — which isn’t uncommon since vegetarian dishes make up a large portion of the pescetarian diet. But having to settle for those mediocre soy wieners leave a lot to be desired.
Unless, of course, you jazz the HELL out of them.
These Gourmet Vegetarian Taco Hot Dogs are brimming with *so* many goodies, you can’t help but enjoy them and feel like your hot dog void has been filled.
(It’s really hard to talk about wieners and hot dogs without things getting weird.)
We had some friends over for dinner, drinks, and board games one evening and jazzed up hot dogs just seemed like a good idea. I laid out a spread of taco-friendly ingredients — from jalapeños and black olives to cheese — and everyone crafted their own very personal dog to perfection.
It was glorious.
I thought it would be silly to list exact ingredients and measurements as a recipe here, so instead, I’m just laying out your options. Who am I to tell you how many pickled jalapeños to put on your dog, anyway?
Making this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme /#killingthyme. For more delish eats, follow me on INSTAGRAM + PINTEREST.
Gourmet Vegetarian Taco Hot Dogs
- 1 Package of vegetarian hot dogs
- Hot dog buns, toasted
- Black olives
- Fresh jalapeños
- Pickled jalapeños
- Shredded cheese of your choice
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt I always opt for plain Greek yogurt
- Your fave hot sauces
- Grill your hot dogs until they have nice grill marks on them — approx. 5 minutes. While the hot dogs are grilling, you can cut open your hot dog buns and place them on the grill, face down and opened, for 1-2 minutes or until they are lightly toasted. Grilling the buns is optional.
- Once your hot dogs and buns are ready to go, serve. Place all ingredients out in an assembly-line like fashion and have people create their own perfect hot dogs!