Food/ Main Dishes/ Sides, tapa-tizers + snacks/ Vegetarian

Buffalo Sweet Potato Fries With Smokey Blue Cheese

Sometimes you just need a plateful of fancy fries for dinner. And when you’re an adult, you can do these sorts of things; this is adulting done right.

This is also what eating your anxiety looks like.

You see, there’s a bit of a stressor brooding over me and I can’t seem to step from beneath it. In less than a month, a good friend and I are catering an engagement party.

Catering. (Me?)

I’ve never catered anything in my life. I’m excited! And I’m terrified.

This party is for our dear friends who will be tying the knot this fall. I love them and I feel like I’ve grown incredibly close to them since moving to Raleigh so of course, in true Dana fashion, I’m having nightmares about coming up short on fancy crostini, people grumbling about the sangrias not being boozy enough, or people naysaying the playlist. (For the record, I’ve never made a sangria that wasn’t boozy and I’ve NEVER made a shitty playlist.) But after staring at the menu specifics on Monday, I decided that I needed to eat my worries away.

For this reason, this plate of fries.

Blue cheese is definitely an acquired taste, and the stuff I crumbled over my fiery mountain of fries wasn’t anything like the goop they serve alongside your wings in bars (though I totally dig that goop). This good stuff came from Rogue Creamery in Central Point, Oregon, and though I’m not actually a huge fan of blue cheeses myself, this stuff was hella tasty and funky in all the right ways.

Sometimes you just have to find the right kind.

If you’re staunchly against blue cheese being anywhere near your plate, just omit it — or swap it for some crumbled feta or creamy chèvre. After all, the star in any Buffalo dish is the Frank’s Red Hot. There is no disputing that.

ALSO. UNREALTED BUT TOTALLY IMPORTANT.

I’m very excited to introduce you to our little ladycakes, Tilly 🙂

If you’re a regular reader and read this post back in March, then you know I recently grieved the loss of my beloved boy, Sergei. It destroyed me. I took the time that I needed to heal, but I knew that rescuing another little furry monster would bring me incredible joy.

And my heart is so. flippin’. full.

This gorgeous gal is a korat. Though I was looking for an adult cat, this little 10-month old face won me over while checking out the kitten cabana at the cat refuge. I mean yeah, okay, I fell in love with a handful of cats that day — but seriously. Look at her.

You can pretty much guarantee that you’ll see her little face pop up around here again. Because food and cats are life.

Did you make this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Instagram: @Killing__Thyme /#killingthyme. For more delish eats, follow me on INSTAGRAM + PINTEREST.

Buffalo Sweet Potato Fries With Smokey Blue Cheese

If you're a sucker for Buffalo-flavored *anything*, you need these fries in your life stat.

Course Entree or Side
Cuisine American
Author Killing Thyme

• 10 oz cooked sweet potato fries of your choice if homemade, cook as you normally would; if frozen, go by package instructions
  • 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt optional
  • 1-2 TBSP crumbled smokey blue cheese

Optional Garnishes

• Chopped fresh parsley
  • Microgreens

1. Place your cooked sweet potato fries into a large bowl.

2. Drizzle the hot sauce over the fries. Cove with a lid or plastic wrap, and toss to evenly coat the fries.

3. Plate the fries, and sprinkle with celery salt and crumble blue cheese. Garnish with greens if desired.

Buffalo Sweet Potato Fries With Smokey Blue Cheese | Killing Thyme — If you're a sucker for Buffalo-flavored *everything*, you need these fries in your life stat.

Alexandra | Occasionally Eggs
    May 22, 2017 at 4:40 pm Ooh your new kitty is just adorable!! We're fostering two brother cats starting this week and I'm so excited. I totally agree that this reminds me of poutine, it looks so good!
    Justine @ JustineCelina.com
    May 22, 2017 at 1:51 pm First of all, I'm 100% confident that you'll rock catering. It sounds like a fun first time to try something new, and I'm also 100% confident your playlist will be bangin'. Haha! Second, we make your Buffalo Tofu at least twice a month, with a dairy free sauce. It's like our healthy 'junk food' around here -- so I'm REALLY intrigued by these sweet potato fries! Sweet potato fries are high on mt list of comfort food too and these look really incredible Dana. And lastly, congrats on your beautiful little kitty. She seems so sweet and I'm so happy she brings you so much joy. :)
    Isabelle @ Crumb
    May 21, 2017 at 9:51 pm I have absolutely zero self-control around buffalo anything, especially when there's also blue cheese involved. I have a half-bag of sweet potato fries sitting in the freezer right now that were clearly destined for this dish! :) PS: Congrats on the addition to the family. She's adorable! I'm sure the two of you are going to have some wonderful times together.
    Gabrielle @ eyecandypopper
    May 19, 2017 at 6:55 pm OMG. This is like the healthier poutine of dreams. haha YUM!
      May 21, 2017 at 5:47 pm I truly need to develop a vegetarian or pescetarian poutine of sorts. *drool*.
    Breakfast for Dinner
    May 19, 2017 at 6:37 pm Food and cats ARE life! Good luck with the catering gig - I'm sure it will be a success. Regardless, eating a plate of french fries for dinner is something I can get on board with ;)
      May 21, 2017 at 5:46 pm Aren't they, though. I just can't trust people who disagree ;) It took a lot of arm-twisting and lash-batting to convince my husband to let me rescue a cat, but he finally caved, and now it's pretty clear that she's won him over. Haha. And thank you so much!
    Natalie Browne
    May 19, 2017 at 1:18 pm I think you'll be amazing at catering the party and everyone will be thrilled with the food. I'm not typically a blue cheese fan, but every once in awhile I stumble upon one that I get along with. Regardless, these look amazing and I think I could get onboard with blue cheese for the sake of eating a plate of these fries :)
      May 21, 2017 at 5:44 pm Thanks so much, Natalie! I really appreciate it. And yesssssss! I'm definitely someone who wants to at least *try* to appreciate everything, so when I don't like something, I keep myself open to trying different variations. I'm glad I did with blue cheese, because this is one I can get down with.
    Shannon
    May 19, 2017 at 11:59 am Haha "this is what eating your anxiety looks like." Sweet potato fries are at the top of my comfort food list too, especially with cheese!
      May 21, 2017 at 5:41 pm Girrrrrl. Anything with cheese is the only way to eat feelings! I just can't get enough of it, which is why I don't even buy bricks of cheese anymore. I can't help myself. I only buy cheese if I need it for a recipe because I have zero control around it!
    DianaL
    May 18, 2017 at 6:47 pm I think you're going to do a fabulous job catering the party!! I'm sure people will walk away raving about the food! Love your little Tilly, she's such a pretty little one.
      May 21, 2017 at 5:38 pm Thanks, Diana! I'm just a mixed bag of excitement and fear and it feels weeeeeird. And thank you so much. Maybe I'm biased, but I agree that Tilly is a beauty ;)
    Amanda
    May 17, 2017 at 12:22 pm Congrats on the addition to the fam! What a sweetie pie! Also these fries look amazing! Blue cheese is sure to make everything even better!
      May 21, 2017 at 5:37 pm Thank you! :)