There are two things that will warm you up on a chilly winter-y morning: a hot cup of coffee and a steamy bowl of hearty oatmeal.
(Okay — staying in bed all snug like a bug in a rug is up there too but, you know… adulting.)
It’s strange to think there was a time that I’d actually brush breakfast off. I don’t know how the heck I functioned, because these days I’m pretty much useless until I’ve indulged in some morning eats and have gotten at least 1/4 way through my luscious brew.
My breakfast rotation might seem boring to some, but I *love* it. When I’m not munching on Chocolate Mini Wheats (which, last year, I realized have more fiber and less sugar than the “healthy” branded fiber cereal I’d been eating), I go between a hard-boiled egg with toast, or a buttery English muffin with jazzed up cottage cheese. (When I say jazzed up, I don’t mean with pineapples; I meant with Sriracha sauce; I’m an animal.) But at least twice a week, I’m digging into a hot, nourishing and flavorful bowl of oats.
PB + J Oatmeal
When it comes to sprucing up my oats, I bring my ‘A’ Game. Adding a blend of cinnamon and brown sugar is lovely and all, but let’s face it: stopping at cinnamon and sugar is sad AF when you have all of those tempting savory and sweet inspirations out there. Sometimes you just have to switch it up — like with this Grape and Walnut Balsamic Oatmeal With Honey Drizzle.
This PB + J Oatmeal infuses your bowl of oats with nostalgia thanks to the perfect blend of peanut-y goodness + your fave jam.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? SNAP A PIC AND TAG ME ON INSTA! @KILLING__THYME /#KILLINGTHYME
PB + J Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp heaping natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp natural jam
- Splash of nut milk
- 1 tbsp chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp dried berries like Craisins
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Prepare your oats as per the container's instructions, but add a tbsp of peanut butter to the mix.
- While the oats are cooking, occasionally stir the peanut butter around to blend it into the oats.
- When ready, transfer to a bowl.
- Garnish with your favorite jam, and any of the optional ingredients suggested (and highly recommended)!