Menu
Food / Main Dishes / Vegetarian

10-Minute Mushroom Ravioli in Brown Butter + Sage Sauce

mushroom-ravioli-9

Who doesn’t love a quick 10-minute dinner? And it’s not even boxed mac and cheese! (Not to knock boxed mac and cheese, because it is bomb and you know it.)

As much as I love to play around in the kitchen, sometimes I need a break; sometimes it’s all too much. Especially since I spend a good chunk of my week — day and night — in the kitchen. I’ll spend a couple of hours developing a recipe and then clean up only to have to start over for dinner. And then clean up from that. Repeat that for four to five consecutive days and it catches up to you.

I’m tired, my friends.

I don’t usually get very personal here, but I’ve noticed more and more bloggers writing out small windows to their souls every now and again, and it doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. After all, how else will I truly connect with my readership (you)?

The last few weeks have been rough in the energy + motivation department. I haven’t been able to fall asleep at night and it certainly isn’t because I’m not tired; it’s mostly because I can’t shut my brain off. The amount of shit that floods through my brain when I hit the pillow and close my eyes is incalculable. And after a few weeks of that, it’s pretty damn taxing. If I could paint a picture of what my brain looks like while trying to fall asleep, it would be that scene in the Wizard of Oz where Dorothy is sitting on her bed looking out the window as her home is being carried along with the twister. There goes a crate of chickens, an old woman knitting in a rocking chair and a cow… except replace the crate of chickens with deadlines, the old woman with housework and the cow with self-doubt.

But guess what. Life doesn’t stop; as soon as the alarm sounds off in the morning, it’s business as usual.

Let me tell you, there hasn’t been enough coffee in the world lately…

mushroom-ravioli-16

Because I’m tenacious, despite feeling completely watered-down and discombobulated, there is no “I can’t” when it comes to productivity and progress. While in most cases that acts as more of a con (again, because I’m often putting an unhealthy amount of pressure on myself), in this case it’s a pro. I’m in the midst of readjusting my daily schedule to help my body and soul get back into the groove of things. I’m also writing all of my thoughts out on paper before bed — that way my brain doesn’t swell and spin in worry of forgetting something.

Needless to say, this magical 10-minute ravioli was exactly what I needed on Sunday night. Something substantial, playfully frilly and slightly indulgent. I wanted to feel like I was treating myself without exhausting myself while throwing it together.

mushroom-ravioli-20

I grabbed some fresh mushroom ravioli from the market along with some baby bella mushrooms and fresh sage. Really, what herb summons the vibes of fall more than sage? Rosemary is only a close second.

ravioli-and-mushrooms

mushroom-ravioli

This was my first time making a brown butter + sage sauce. I’d definitely browned butter before, mostly by accident if you know what I mean, but for some reason I’d always been intimidate by the idea of a brown butter sauce in all of it’s richness and nuttiness. It sounds fancy, so I assumed it would be technical. Boy was I wrong.

This stuff literally takes 3 minutes to make. The fresh ravioli, depending on the type you get, will take 5-7 minutes.

In just ten minutes you’ll have yourself a stunner of a dish that tastes like a ton of love went into it — when in actuality (or in my case), it was a ton of I need a f*^$#ing break that went into it.

mushroom-ravioli-pan

mushroom-ravioli-6
mushroom-ravioli-12

For more delish eats, find me on Instagram and Pinterest.

Have you made this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Insta! @killing__thyme / #KillingThyme

10-Minute Mushroom Ravioli in Brown Butter + Sage Sauce

Prep Time 1 minute
Author Killing Thyme

• 12 oz fresh mushroom ravioli
  • 4 tbsp of butter
  • 10 leaves small sage
  • 1 oz baby bella mushrooms diced
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano for garnish

• Cook your ravioli as per the packages instructions.
  • Heat a medium-sized skillet over moderate heat.
  • Melt the butter with the sage leaves until the butter is fragrant, nutty and slightly brown in color — about 3 minutes. The add the diced mushrooms and continue to cook until tender — about 5 minutes.
  • Add the cooked ravioli and carefully toss to evenly coat.
  • Sprinkle the ravioli with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and freshly ground pepper.

Notes

Cooking time varies; it depends on how long it takes to cook your fresh ravioli. This can be done in less than 10 minutes.

• Kelly
    May 20, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Hi! I also dreaded the thought of making brown butter sauce. I finally did last winter and came out ,too buttery. Not good like a restaurant but like from a cheap microwave meal. However I got a good bag of fresh mushroom ravioli in fridge (funny. I never have cooked with ‘shrooms either) I originally planned on making a Ratatoille last week and putting on the ravioli. But it didn’t work! That’s another 1st for me. Im single. 42. Never married ,never had kids. But man do i cook! alot! Iv mastered my (well. Can’t say mastered unless iv been to Italy) Italian sauces last 6months. Now im off track, my brains been crazy as well. So! Yes. I googled good sauce for mushroom ravioli and here i Am. And I’m not sure if ill be using brown butter sauce ,altho it seems the best route, i just wanted to say I loved reading your blog. Usually all “sweet and proper” everything’s great Etc Etc. (Not that thyrs Anything wrong with that) im glad you have this blog to vent. I love the swearing! Shows realness. Thats all. And of course your sauce looks delish

• Killing Thyme
      May 21, 2019 at 8:24 am

Kelly! Thanks for the thoughtful comment :) Cooking is always an adventure, isn’t it? And Italian sauces are fabulous things to have down pat. However you sauce that ravioli, I hope it’s a hit.

I really appreciate the kind words. It’s more common for bloggers to get comments telling them to basically “shut up, only came here for the recipe not your life story”, which is silly because it’s, well, a BLOG ;) I’ve been really fortunate with my readership, though. So happy to have you here! Keep me posted on that ravioli!

• Kristine
    March 25, 2019 at 11:41 am

What would 10 small leaves convert to in dried sage? I am too lazy to go to the grocery store for fresh sage, and this recipe looks to die for!

• Killing Thyme
      March 25, 2019 at 12:21 pm

Hey Kristine!
      No problem. I know that too-lazy-to-hit-up-the-grocery-store feeling ALL too well ;)
      Start with 1 tsp of ground sage. That should infuse the butter nicely without being too overpowering. Dried herbs are a lot stronger than fresh, so better to start off with less and add more if you need to. Let me know how it goes!

• […] in the fall, I was head-over-heels with this Mushroom Ravioli in Brown Butter and Sage Sauce. But that’s a recipe for the darker and cooler months. Basil and lemon put a bright spin on […]

• Katie
    June 8, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Looks delicious! Quick question, where do you add the baby bella mushrooms?

• Killing Thyme
      June 8, 2017 at 5:27 pm

Hey Katie! Derp, thanks for pointing that out. Add the chopped mushrooms in step three along with the sage and cook until the mushrooms are tender. Sometimes I get too excited and miss a step — thanks so much for the message! Going to fix that now ;)

Hope you enjoy the dish! Keep me posted :)

• […] 10-Minute Mushroom Ravioli in Brown Butter + Sage Sauce (Total time is 10 minutes): I know it seems a bit ridiculous to have an elegant and delicious dinner on the table in ten, but it can happen with minimal ingredients including fresh ravioli. This dish is perfect for stress-free entertaining or an evening of self-satisfaction. […]

• Justine
    October 7, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Dana, the simplicity of the dish that you’ve mimicked in the styling is pure perfection. Love the combination of flavours and the cool but comforting feeling in these images. :) Also, I hope you’re able to quiet your mind and catch some good zzz’s soon. Creative work is definitely exhausting and that coupled with inadequate sleep is never a fun situation. I’ll be sending you some relaxing sleep vibes tonight!

• Killing Thyme
      October 7, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Thanks so much, Justine! I’m glad I got the right vibe across.

And ugh, yes. I m expecting a delivery today actually with TWO different facial masks — a clay mint mask and a mud mask. I just need more self-care in my life. I’ve got wine in the fridge and I’m ready to kick back. Thanks so much for the chill vibes — always! xo

• Julia (@imagelicious)
    October 6, 2016 at 1:56 am

I hope you feel better soon! I love this idea of making brown butter sauce for the ravioli. Whenever I buy ravioli I stick with basic tomato sauce (from a can) but brown butter sauce sounds way more delicious. Oh, and I love the photos!

• Killing Thyme
      October 7, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Thanks, Julia! I think some serious R’n’R is needed — mud mask, wine and something good on Hulu or Netflix!

The butter sauce is wonderful, but it’s funny you mention the tomato sauce because I totally started hankering for some of that this week. So, tomorrow’s dinner is fresh ravioli with my homemade tomato sauce. Haha. Gotta balance it out!

I’m glad you dig the photos! As I said above, I was worried that the styling in this shoot was too bland/moody/grey, but it was so fitting to how I was feeling and it’s simple like the dish so, it all worked out.

• Amanda Orlando
    October 5, 2016 at 1:48 pm

This dish even looks like fall, such beautiful colours and simple flavors. I especially love your styling in this shoot. Well done!

• Killing Thyme
      October 7, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Thanks, Amanda! I was worried that the styling in this shoot was too bland/moody/grey, but it was so fitting to how I was feeling that I went with it. Lol.

• Meaghan
    October 5, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Girl you are right mac and cheese is the bomb! But this mushroom ravioli looks so good, and ready in 10 mins, it may just become my favorite new quick dinner!! Now I’m off on a hunt to find good pre-made ravioli…

• Killing Thyme
      October 7, 2016 at 4:29 pm

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks so, Meaghan. It’s funny, when you’re a food blogger, your friends and family always seem to think that because you can create such fun and wholesome meals, you never turn to a box. Boy are they wrong. There are times where there’s nothin’ better than devouring an entire box of KD — straight from the pot!

It’s funny, I always admire those bloggers that are coming up with 30-minute meals. When I calculate the time on this I was like… wha!? Amazing. In Canada, you could easily find some pre-made fresh ravioli at Sobey’s at the pasta counter :)