I’m on a serious hummus kick, but by adding anything to the perfection that is already hummus, it becomes less hummus and more chickpea spread. Not long ago I posted my dearly beloved Homemade Hummus with Za’atar and Sweet Paprika. It was so yummy, I knew I had to make more. But…
Due to spending this week on the coast (yay for vacation!), I wanted to clear out the ol’ crisper before leaving. (No one wants to come home to a swampy crisper, am I right?) I found some red bell pepper and zucchini kicking around, and I had some chalet olives in the fridge, so my wheels started turning and this nummy spread came to be.
Roasted Vegetable Chickpea Spread
VEGETABLES1/2 of a red bell pepper (3.5 oz), julienned
- 1 oz small zucchini 5, quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz kalamata olives 1, diced
HUMMUS2 cups chickpeas, drained (reserve approx. 1/3 cup of liquid and approx. 1/4 cup chickpeas for garnish)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic peeled and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
GARNISH1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Extra Chickpeas
- Extra kalamata olives
VEGETABLESPreheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss the sliced red bell peppers and zucchini in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and evenly spread out on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until slightly charred.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, dice the bell peppers and zucchini. Set approx. 1/4 of each aside to use as garnish.
HUMMUSPut the chickpeas, tahini, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor (a blender will give you a much smoother hummus).
- Begin to blend and add the chickpea liquid as needed to create a smooth purée.
- Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Garnish with paprika, parsley, and extra chickpeas/olives/roasted veggies.