Sometimes I stumble upon an old post and think to myself, “Damn. That needs a makeover, like, yesterday.”
This was one of them.
It can be a little painful to look back on old posts with photos that leave much to be desired, but at the same time, it confirms your improvement and perseverance.
This is hands-down one of my most favorite salads ever. There is just something extremely delectable and intriguing about jazzed-up seafood on an equally tasty salad; this Harissa-Spiced Salmon Salad With Sweet Curry Vinaigrette is another fave.
This one keeps things pretty clean and simple, and the homemade toasted sesame dressing gives you a punch of flavor without having to drown your salad in it. That aspect alone deserves a high five, because salad can be pretty bland with a not-so-punchy dressing.
I love the tidbit of heat that the chili flakes bring to this dish, but that’s completely optional. Feel free to omit the chili flakes if spice isn’t your jam.
Like with any salad, the type of veggies you use is flexible and entirely up to you. I don’t like chunks of carrots in my salad, but I still like to include them — so I grate them! I also add julienned radishes and cucumbers, and a bit of crunchy mix sprouts which includes adzuki, lentils and peas; again, totally optional.
Always keep an eye on sustainable seafood. You can refer to FishWatch for reliable information and updates on sustainability.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? SNAP A PIC AND TAG ME ON INSTA! @KILLING__THYME /#KILLINGTHYME
Toasted Sesame Salad with Spicy Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil
- 10-12 raw shrimp cleaned, unshelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups of raw baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of shredded carrot
- 1 radish thinly sliced then julienned
- 2- inch piece of cucumber thinly sliced and julienned
- 1 tbsp crunchy mix or sprouts optional
- 1 teaspoon of low-sodium Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until completely blended. Set aside.
- Place your vegetables into a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil in a small pan over moderate heat.
- Carefully place the shrimp into the pan. If the pan spits too much, lower the heat.
- Evenly sprinkle the chili flakes over the shrimp. Do the same with the sesame seeds, kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Toss the shrimp around in the pan/flip them over until completely cooked/pink. Careful not to overcook them.
- Once the shrimps are cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the dressing. Toss to coat.
- Plate the salad and top with the shrimp.