Food/ Main Dishes/ Vegetarian

Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese

Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese

The other day the hubs and I were all like, “Hey. We haven’t made mac and cheese in a while.” Sad truth. And then we were all like, “Well hey, let’s rectify this!” So we did. And this was born. And it was beautiful.

Our usual go-to mac was always the Bacon Jalapeño Mac and Cheese, but now that I’m a pesky pescetarian, we opted to try something new; something new with mushrooms and beer and it was magical.

You’ll notice that I start with a roux in order to make my cheese sauce. Some people don’t believe in this step anymore; call me old fashioned, but I do. It always makes the best. Cheese sauce. Ever. And who doesn’t want the best cheese sauce ever? Who wants a cheese sauce that just cuts it? Who wants to dig into an okay looking mac and cheese and say, “This looks wonderfully mediocre!”

Okay, I might be exaggerating. I’m sure some people out there have their preferences and their own way of doing things. Mine, however, stands by a roux. Thicken that shit so it sticks to my ribs, bro.

Serves 4

557

Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese

10Prep Time

20Cook Time

30Total Time

Save RecipeSave Recipe
Recipe Image

FOR THE MUSHROOMS1 tablespoon of butter
  • 1 cup of cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup of beer at room temperature
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
  • FOR THE SAUCE2 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/2 cup of beer, room temp
  • 8 oz of smoked gouda, shredded
  • 8 oz of muenster, shredded
  • kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • PASTAShells, macaroni, or rotini work best.

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a stove-top friendly dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced mushrooms and the 1/4 cup of beer.
  3. Simmer for approx. 8 minutes, or until all of the butter and beer has been absorbed by the mushrooms.
  4. Season with a bit of kosher salt and ground black pepper.
  5. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
  6. Prepare the pasta noodles as per the instructions on the packaging.
  7. In the same vessel you cooked the mushrooms in, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
  8. Gradually whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Continue to whisk until a thick roux forms.
  9. While whisking, add the milk.
  10. Bring the heat up a bit so the milk comes to a boil, and whisk until the roux has dissolved into the milk, thickening the sauce.
  11. While whisking, slowly add 1/2 cup of beer.
  12. Allow to simmer until the sauce thickens again.
  13. Add the shredded cheeses and stir until the cheese melts.
  14. If the sauce is too thick, you can gradually add more milk as you whisk until you reach a desired consistency.
  15. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
  16. Transfer the mushrooms to the cheese sauce and stir.
  17. Drain the pasta once it's done. Don't rinse.
  18. Carefully dump the pasta into the cheese sauce and stir to coat.
  19. For a slightly crispy top, place the mac and cheese under a broiler (on high) for a few minutes. Time varies since all ovens are different, so keep the oven light on and keep a very close eye on it.

Notes

Beer must be at room temperature. Cold beer may break the sauce.

7.8.1.2

Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese | Killing Thyme

Beer Butter Mushrooms - Killing Thyme Eat-Zine
    July 13, 2016 at 7:21 pm […] case you don’t believe me, you can check out this Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese or this recent Cod with Beer and Mushroom Sauce. Beer and mushrooms have been an amazing […]
    michelle_
    January 28, 2016 at 11:18 pm What a flavorful spin on mac and cheese, so unique but robust flavors!
    Megan @ A Dash of Megnut
    January 28, 2016 at 1:53 pm Mmmm this looks so creamy and good! Love that you used beer and mushrooms in there!
    Tracy | Baking Mischief
    January 27, 2016 at 5:25 pm I'm so curious to try this. I love cooking with beer, but I've never put it in my mac and cheese. It sounds like it would be a delightful addition!
    Cindy (Vegetarian Mamma)
    January 27, 2016 at 12:09 pm WOw, this sounds amazing. Just pairing the mac and cheese with mushrooms has got me hungry! I love the sound of this comfort food!
    Manal Obieda
    January 27, 2016 at 12:00 pm I too believe that roux makes the best cheese sauce, creamy and delicious...lovely recipe..
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 27, 2016 at 12:01 pm Thanks, Manal! I definitely believe it plays a huge part in giving the sauce it's silkiness. I don't think I will ever stray from the roux :)
    Allison
    January 27, 2016 at 11:45 am I see a lot of Mac and Cheese recipes floating around the internet, but this is by far the most unique! Lovely photo!
    Steph @ Steph in Thyme
    January 21, 2016 at 10:28 pm One of the best mac and cheese recipes I've come across. Can't go wrong with beer and mushrooms!!
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 27, 2016 at 11:59 am Thanks so much, Steph! Beer and mushrooms pair so well together - I just couldn't resist adding creamy cheese to the mix, haha. And the shells create little bowls of cheesy bliss. ...Now I want to make this all over again.
    Shihoko
    January 19, 2016 at 10:59 am I am old fashioned too and make same way as you do, one thing though I did not know is to use beer! What does beer make difference?
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 19, 2016 at 11:15 am Hi Shihoko! I'm glad I'm not the only old fashioned one still around :) The use of beer just adds a nice and light hint of beer flavor, and since beer and cheese can pair so well together, it's a super delicious combo for a mac and cheese. It adds a certain earthiness, but it definitely isn't necessary if beer isn't your thing. I love cooking with beer myself, so I experiment with it a lot.
    Beer and Mushroom Mac and Cheese - Yum Goggle
    January 18, 2016 at 8:35 pm […] GET THE RECIPE […]
    Emma @ Supper in the Suburbs
    January 18, 2016 at 4:44 pm Who are these people who don't make a roux?! They are doing it all wrong!!! But hey...I've never made mac and cheese with beer before so clearly I can't judge. Fab recipe! My OH is a veggie and I'm often looking for ways to jazz up our favourite comfort food - he will LOVE this! thanks for sharing :D
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 19, 2016 at 12:05 pm Right?? I recently read a mac and cheese recipe that, in so many words, said it was completely unnecessary and I was like YOU LIE! Haha. I really hope you both love this recipe! Thanks for stopping by :)
    Mark, CompassandFork
    January 18, 2016 at 4:33 pm I like this take on mac and cheese. Smoky gouda, beer, and cremini mushrooms, very imaginative. So hearty and perfect for winter.
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 19, 2016 at 2:37 pm Thanks, Mark! It's definitely right up there in terms of comfort food. It's nice to indulge once in a while! Thanks for coming by :)
    Lauren @ A Nerd Cooks
    January 17, 2016 at 3:28 pm I am right there with you: roux or bust. This mac and cheese looks and sounds so good!! I just ran the idea by my husband, and he is all about it, too. What kind of beer do you like to use?
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      January 19, 2016 at 2:39 pm Thanks, Lauren! I'm glad I'm not alone in the world of le roux. I used a belgian-style triple but you can use anything from a lager to a pilsner to a cream ale! Anything goes :) I hope you both love it!