Menu
Appetizers + Snacks / Food / Vegetarian

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Corn and Bean Salsa 2

No! Don’t run. Honestly. I know a salsa without tomatoes may seem a little odd and unappealing, but I kid you not – I’d take this concoction over a tomato-based salsa any day. This medley of flavours is savory and, I’ll admit, unexpected.

I’ve never been a fan of corn in salsa to begin with, so the first time I was asked to try this, I cringed. But, I have a rule as a “self-proclaimed foodie”: You can’t hate what you haven’t ate! That’s actually really bad English, and I should probably rephrase that sometime.

A lot of people raise their brows when served this Black Bean and Corn Salsa because they are, of course, expecting your typical salsa roja or pico de gallo. You know, tomato-based. Some folks have even suggested that this be referred to as a Black Bean and Corn Salad, but to that I raise MY brow – I wouldn’t eat this with a fork as a side dish!? It’s for tortilla chips, bro! But, because I strive to be informed, I did some research (research meaning I read a Wikipedia article for 2 minutes), and based on my findings, this is a what is referred to as a…corn salsa. Unreal.

So, salsa it is.

With the aforementioned in mind, people are pretty dubious about this dish at first glance – especially all of the picky eaters I know like my Pops and my husband. Interestingly enough, and to my surprise, even THEY enjoyed this salsa. It is insanely flavorful, crunchy, fresh, and incredibly addicting. I like to serve it with the Tostitos Scoops – it just makes sense.

*NOTE: I like to make this the day before I plan on serving it. It allows the flavors to set and it’s just so gosh darn good the next day! But you can make it the day of – up to you!

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Salsa1 cup of diced red, yellow, or orange bell pepper (just to add color)

• 1 cup of diced green bell pepper
  • 1 cup of diced spanish onion
  • 1 cup of fine diced celery
  • 1 cup of frozen corn it will thaw once mixed
  • 2 cups of prepared lentils
  • 1 large can of black beans drain and rinse

Liquid3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar

• 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil
  • 1 tbsp of water

SalsaMix all of the prepared salsa ingredients into a large bowl.

LiquidThoroughly whisk all of the liquid ingredients into a saucepan.

• Over moderate heat, bring the liquid to a boil for 30 seconds.
    • Remove the liquid from the heat and let it sit out to cool down to room temp.
    • Once the liquid has cooled to room temp, poor it over the salsa mixture and stir thoroughly to combine.
    • Keep refrigerated. If properly sealed, this salsa will stay good in the fridge for 2-3 weeks!

Notes

Best to make day before to let the flavors set.

• Kellie
      December 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

It looks gorgeous. What ever way you slice it. ha,ha.
      I have to admit to making a salad that is very similar to this but I’m lucky because I don’t have any naysayers in my circle. If I tell them it’s a salad – it’s a salad. vs if I say it’s salsa, then salsa it is.
      Kellie from Princess and the Yard Ape

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        December 13, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Haha, so true. My naysayers (who are mostly my husband and my father – so like, just the two most important men in my life, you know!) are very picky and plain eaters. Like, if it isn’t a classic dish and it’s something new, my Dad gets irked. And my husband hates all root vegetables, all beans, and anything creamy (except cheese sauce). It’s a…challenge!? Lol.

• Teresa
      December 12, 2015 at 2:26 am

This sounds great, actually. I think it would make a great addition to a buffet and I love that it uses pantry items!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        December 13, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Totally! I love recipes that basically say, “Hey, here’s a way to clean out your crisper/pantry in one go!”

• Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy
      December 11, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I love the combination of corn and black beans….and you can never have too many salsa recipes. I think this is going to be a crowd pleaser this holiday season!!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        December 13, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I totally agree, Gloria! I hope you enjoy it if/when you make it :)

• Dylan
      December 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Yum! Salsa with some protein.. who wouldn’t love this?!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        December 11, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Right? Silly skeptics! Ah well. They see the truth in the end :)

• Sondi
      December 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I love corn and bean salsas! While I would pair something like this with tortilla chips or a flatbread, I would fully endorse eating this as a side dish with a fork, or use it as a burger topping. Yum!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        December 11, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Mmm, might definitely be a burger topping! I just hate when things fall off of my burger as I’m trying to eat it, and I see that being an issue with all of these loose bits. haha. Maybe in a wrap or as a taco topping? Options are endless!