One of my favorite things about making food is making it my own. There’s a great sense of victory in being able to say, “Yeah, I don’t know – I just winged it” about a successful dish. That’s exactly what I felt with this recipe!
Whenever our friend Ian is in town we have him over for dinner and board games (this time we played Defenders of the Realm and it was AWESOME). Ian’s vegetarian, so I always eagerly jump to the challenge of coming up with something inspired. This time, I came up with the idea to serve lasagna rolls with a vegetable and ricotta filling. The filling turned out really well, especially paired with my Cauliflower Cream Sauce which I served on top and ate by the spoonful later (sexy, I know).
How I respond to vegetarian cuisine is definitely a little funny. I could have easily served a regular ol’ lasagna with tomato sauce and a cheese filling – there is no meat there so, BANG, vegetarian-friendly. For some reason, however, when I hear “vegetarian” I don’t just associate it with “I don’t eat meat” – I also associate it with “I want to eat as many vegetables in one dish as possible so give me all of the veggies please”. I guess that’s why I didn’t stop at spinach in this stuffing – nope! I continued on and added celery, carrots, and mushrooms. You can totally improvise and add whatever you’d like in here, though. I feel like a roasted vegetable version of this would be a total winner with roasted red peppers, zucchini, squash…oh my.
Vegetable and Ricotta Lasagna Filling
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup shredded pecorino romano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms minced
- 2 ribs of celery minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl together until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spread as layers in a lasagna or spoon and spread onto lasagna rolls. Serve with your favorite pasta sauce, or try my Cauliflower Cream Sauce at https://www.killingthyme.net/2014/04/07/cauliflower-cream-sauce/