I had a family cookout to attend this weekend and, despite being told by my Aunt that I didn’t have to bring anything, I did anyway. I just don’t listen!
The majority of this part of the family is Italian, so I wanted to make something Italian influenced with fresh and bright flavors. These Tomato Basil Crostini were the perfect little appy, and they were completely devoured in no time.
You can eat them plain or drizzle them with either olive oil or balsamic vinegar. Either way, they are a perfect accompaniment for patio eats or to serve as a snack with drinks.
Make sure to have a few extra for yourself. I always take “quality control” seriously and had a few of these before I put them out. I mean, you have to taste test, am I right?
Tomato Basil Crostinis
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 french baguette sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 cups of sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz of plain cream cheese
OPTIONALOlive oil, for drizzle
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Slice the baguette slices and place on a baking sheet.
- Brush olive oil and both sides of the baguette slices and sprinkle with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Bake the baguette slices for approx. 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- Once the baguette slices have cooled, spread cream cheese on the tops of each baguette slice.
- Top with slices of grape tomatoes and garnish with fresh chopped basil.
- Drizzle with olive oil or balsamic vinegar (optional).