GUYS. I had this for dinner tonight, and I could not possibly wait another day to blog the recipe. It was SO. TASTY.
I’m always looking for new ways to jazz up my fish fillets. Fish is so good for you, but it can taste so bland and so easily fall into the less desirable category of meats to eat. I think my new goal is to sway every naysayer of fish – yup, that’s what I’m gonna do. This recipe, as well as the salmon recipe from last Friday, would be great examples to start with.
What inspired this one? As I stared at my naked and plain fillet pondering the possibilities, I realized that I hadn’t done anything with my curry and garam masala spices in a while. My wonderful little cousin Gabe, who also loves to cook, gave me some bangin’ spices he’d picked up from a market on his trip to South Africa. I made a dry rub with the garam marsala, some garlic powder, turmeric, cumin, and sea salt; for the butter I melted some, well, butter – along with some brown sugar and curry powder. The result? DEE-LISH.
Garam Masala Tilapia with Sweet Curry Butter
- 2 fillets of tilapia
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Tin foil
- Pastry brush
- Pre-heat grill to high heat.
- Divide two pieces of tin foil, one for each fillet.
- Place fillets on their respective pieces of tin foil
- Brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil on both sides of each fillet.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients and split in half.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and curry powder in a small bowl. Place in the microwave for approx. 15 seconds or until completely melted. Mix well and set aside.
- Rub the dry spices well into the top of each fillet.
- Place the fillets spiced side down onto the tin foil.
- Place the fillets in tin foil on the grill.
- Grill for 4 minutes, and then carefully flip the fillets, spiced side up.
- With the pastry brush, dab the butter mixture on top of the fillets.
- Close the lid and grill for another 4 minutes.
- Remove fillets from heat and serve.