No Bake Energy Bites – Berry Chocolate & Cocoa Pecan
I just couldn’t name these guys ‘Energy Balls’ with a straight face.
Lately I’ve been skipping the gym after work because I find myself too hungry. It’s been like this: eat dinner > work out. Of course, I justify it with, “I shouldn’t work out on an empty stomach anyway!” I knew that seemed lame, but it sounds even more lame written down and out in the open. Now that it’s nice out and Canada’s polar vortex has finally taken a hike, there should be no post-work day gym time excuses. Not wanting to walk from Point A (the car) to Point B (the gym) in -40 degree weather with ice crystals forming on your eyelashes, that to me is an acceptable excuse. (It still probably isn’t). But now that everything and everyone has thawed…it’s time to put my game face back on.
I wanted a quick and healthy snack that would be good to mow down right before heading in to pump iron (the weights on the machines are iron too, right?) This little snack is packed with healthy ingredients and, better yet, flavour. These do NOT taste like homemade dog treats, which yes, I’ve tried because they were made with all-natural ingredients and I was curious. So what?
I made two different kinds, because I’m an “options” girl. I went with Berry Chocolate and Cocoa Pecan.
The former ended up being my favourite!
Get the Recipe:
No Bake Energy Bites - Berry Chocolate & Cocoa Pecan
- FOR BERRY CHOCOLATE
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all natural almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup blueberry or raspberry agave nectar, can substitute regular agave nectar or honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax
- 1/3 cup of dried cranberries
- FOR COCOA PECAN
- Everything is the same, except substitute the agave nectar with honey and the dried cranberries with chopped pecans.
- Empty all ingredients into a large bowl.
- With a large spoon or spatula, stir and fold until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the fridge.
- With a tablespoon or scoop, scoop out enough to roll a ball that is approx. 2 inches wide and 2 inches tall.
- Place in a container and keep refrigerated.