Happy National Grilled Cheese Day!
I’m so glad that the grilled cheese sandwich gets it’s own day; it deserves it. Between food trucks dedicating themselves to the gourmet sandwich and the Internet compiling lists and lists of wacky combinations, the grilled cheese game has evolved massively in my lifetime. I’m glad I’ve been here to see it, and grateful that I’ve been here to eat it.
I haven’t blogged about a grilled cheese sandwich in quite a while, so I was pretty excited to prepare something for today.
Kimchi has been incorporated into grilled cheese sandwiches before, so I’m no genius. The idea has actually received a decent amount of attention in the foodie world. Most of the kimchi grilled cheese sandwiches I’ve encountered have included cooked Ramen noodles. I didn’t have Ramen noodles on hand, but I don’t think I would have used them anyway. I wanted to play around. I had some pineapple kicking around, so I opted for the sweet and spicy combination. For cheese, I used some deliciously soft mozzarella.
This ended up being a perfect sandwich, really. It’s a mouth-watering combination of sweet and spicy trapped between melty mozzarella and toasty bread. Throw it down onto a pan sometime and treat yo’self!
Kimchi and Pineapple Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese approx. 1/4 cup shredded
- 1/3 cup kimchi
- 1/3 cup cubed pineapple
- 1 tablespoons of butter
- Heat a skillet on medium-low heat.
- Toss the kimchi and pineapple in the skillet to bring it to a warm temperature - approx. 5 minutes.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Butter the slices of bread on one side each (1/2 tablespoon each slice).
- Spread half of the cheese on the bottom slice.
- Scoop the kimchi and pineapple onto the sandwich (on top of the bottom layer of cheese).
- Spread the rest of the cheese on top of the kimchi and pineapple.
- Close the sandwich with the top slice of bread, press down to secure the ingredients as much as you can, and place in the skillet on moderate heat.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides, approx. 4 minutes a side.