It was a few months ago, at a fancy pants steakhouse, where I decided to take a stab at it. The one I tried had jalapenos in it, which gave it such a nice kick! I can imagine a normal ol’ chimichurri being delicious, but when it came to making my own, I wanted to dabble in the art of it; that’s how I roll. I have a bad habit of straying from the norm – get used to it! So, I added a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce as well as some lime juice and lime zest (courtesy of my new zester, which I am IN LOVE WITH).
The flavours in this chimichurri are hella piquant! They definitely kick you in the tastebuds; it’s refreshing, earthy, smoky, and spicy – now that’s a mix I can dig!
Lime and Chipotle Chimichurri
- 2 cups of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 red onion cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves halved
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- Juice of one small lime
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of lime zest
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Put the parsley, onion, garlic, and chipotle pepper in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until everything is minced.
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Cover, and process until blended and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until it's time to serve.