Menu
Food / Sauces, Dressings + Spice Blends

Lime and Chipotle Chimichurri

chimichuriChimichurri is pretty new to me – and no, I haven’t been living under a rock. Stop it.

It was a few months ago, at a fancy pants steakhouse, where I decided to take a stab at it.  The one I tried had jalapenos in it, which gave it such a nice kick! I can imagine a normal ol’ chimichurri being delicious, but when it came to making my own, I wanted to dabble in the art of it; that’s how I roll. I have a bad habit of straying from the norm – get used to it! So, I added a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce as well as some lime juice and lime zest (courtesy of my new zester, which I am IN LOVE WITH).

The flavours in this chimichurri are hella piquant! They definitely kick you in the tastebuds; it’s refreshing, earthy, smoky, and spicy – now that’s a mix I can dig!

[optin-cat id=”4760″]

Lime and Chipotle Chimichurri

• 2 cups of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
  • 1/4 red onion cut into chunks
  • 3 garlic cloves halved
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil
  • 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
  • Juice of one small lime
  • 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon of lime zest
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper

• Put the parsley, onion, garlic, and chipotle pepper in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until everything is minced.
  • Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sea salt and ground black pepper.
  • Cover, and process until blended and smooth.
  • Cover and refrigerate until it's time to serve.

• IPA Carne Asada Tacos - Killing Thyme
    February 24, 2015 at 9:05 am

[…] dress up the meat, I made a lime and chipotle chimichurri – you can find the recipe for it here. I also whipped up a simple lime sour cream to drizzle on top by mixing 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 […]

• Lizzie
    February 23, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Yumzeroonies! (I make up words). I think I’ll leave out the chipotle in adobo because I want this stuff to sing green, green, green. But the chipotle in adobo will be used in the marinade for the flank steak, take THAT to the bank!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
      February 23, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hey Lizzie – I make up words too, so high five to that!

Your idea sounds awesome! Let me know how it goes – I’d love to hear about it! May your chimichurri be the greenest of the green! Cheers!

• Lizzie
        February 24, 2015 at 3:15 pm

And awesome it was! I took a good portion of the adobo out of the can, mixed with a little beer, a little red wine, a touch of sesame oil (why, you ask — because it tastes good) and some lime zest, covered the steak with this (very aromatic) goo and let the whole thing hang out for about an hour. Used the “Griddler” until medium rare, let it rest, sliced it thin and ATE IT with that greenest chim-chim along with a radicchio salad and oven baked sweet potato fries. Colorful and swoon-worthy garlicky good.

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
          February 25, 2015 at 11:44 am

I’m really glad that it worked! I’ve never thought to mix wine and beer in a marinade before. I’ll have to give that a shot sometime!

Oh, and I’m the last person who would ever ask “Why” when it comes to sesame oil, because…SESAME OIL!

Thanks so much for following up and letting me know how it turned out. It’s often that people will say they are going to make something, but I never hear back! I guess no news is good news, but I love hearing about it – even if alterations are made.

I’m starving now. Starrrr-ving!

• Thalia @ butter and brioche
    February 23, 2015 at 3:11 am

I’ve never made my own chimichurri before.. but after seeing this post I have to make it. Love the colour and all the flavour!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
      February 23, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Thanks, Thalia! Let me know how it goes! I know they say a good steak should be left alone, but it’s so hard when we have condiments like this that pair so well :)

• Lisa
    February 22, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Red wine vinegar, lime juice and zest, garlic, and parsley?! NOW you’re speaking my language!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
      February 22, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I’m not going to lie, I thought about you when I used the red wine vinegar! I’m going to use it more often :P