These Snowball Cookies are a childhood favourite of mine! Forget chocolate chip, forget peanut butter…I mean okay, don’t forget about those, they’re delicious, but THESE! For me, these can’t be beat during the holidays. I love my Snickerdoodles, but Snowball Cookies have a special kind of nostalgia attached to them; nothing can compete with happy childhood memories of eating sugary, powdery cookies while downing egg nog and listening to Duran Duran. Ah, the life!
(Nothing has changed).
Some Snowball recipes call for pecans, but it’s always been walnuts at my house.
- 1 cup of soft butter
- 1 1/2 cups of ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of milk optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except powdered sugar and milk) together in a large bowl until blended.
- If the mix seems a bit dry, add the tablespoon of milk.
- Roll the mix into 1-inch balls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for approx. 17-20 minutes.
- Set the cookies on a baking rack to cool. Once lukewarm, roll them in the powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, roll them in powdered sugar once more for an extra sweet flavour and 'snowy' appearance.