Food/ Sauces, Dressings + Spice Blends

Healthy Cauliflower Cream Sauce

Cauliflower Cream Sauce 3

I’m really stoked to be giving this post a makeover. It was due.

When I originally posted this recipe I was celebrating my 100th blog post. Now, I’m celebrating a rebrand of the entire blog. We’ll be kissing that whole “mostly” pesco-vegetarian label buh-bye. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be going through the archives and filing my meaty recipes under “G”. (Garbage.) Actually, I’ll be switching them over to private just in case anyone needs one of them some day. But yeah. I’m pretty excited about this change — despite the loss of traffic that will occur for a stint. But it’s cool, because another part of my rebrand is me blogging for me rather than business and popularity and all that jazz. If you missed by musings about the pressures of blogging for business and how it can slay one’s passion, you can find it here.

Now let’s talk about this recipe.

Cauliflower cream sauce is magical. It’s garlicky, creamy and rich without the use of heavy cream or crazy amounts of butter. You can use milk or plain Greek yoghurt to achieve that smooth velvety texture that we all long for in a creamy sauce.

As much as I’d love to claim cauliflower cream sauce as my own brilliant invention, it’s obviously not. This is, however, my own recipe. I think I read about five different recipes for it, taking notes, then coming up with my own.

You might think I’m nutty, but I use 7 big ass cloves of garlic.

Guys. Garlic for days.

Garlic Collage(More like garlic breath for days.)

If you ever find a recipe on this blog that calls for one measly clove of garlic, I’ve either been hacked or kidnapped and forced to write a bland recipe under duress.

One of the best things about this recipe, besides it being a creamy yet healthy godsend, is it’s easy. Like, super duper easy. It’s really just a matter of simmering cauliflower florets in vegetable stock, throwing some things in a blender and then blending until smooth.

Cauliflower Cream Sauce 9

Cauliflower cream sauce collage

Cauliflower Cream Sauce 2

Cauliflower Cream Sauce 4

So, how do you eat this?

With a spoon. (I kid. Kinda.) This stuff is actually versatile AF. I love using it as a creamy pizza sauce if I’m going for a non-traditional pizza — like this Easy Cast Iron Pizza. You could also mix it with rice to create a lazy-ish spin on a risotto.

Of course, it does amazing things with pasta.

Here’s what I had for lunch:

Cauliflower Cream Sauce 12

Want more healthy spins on indulgent recipes? Find me on Instagram and Pinterest.

Have you made this recipe? Snap a pic and tag me on Insta! #KillingThyme

Healthy Cauliflower Cream Sauce

• 1 cauliflower head
  • 3 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 7 cloves of garlic minced
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened and unflavoured almond milk or 1 heaping tablespoon plain greek yoghurt
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper + more to taste

1. Bring 3 cups of vegetable stock to a simmer.
  2. Cut your cauliflower into bite-size florets.
  3. Add the cauliflower florets to the simmering stock and simmer for approx. 7 mins. or until the florets are tender enough to stick a fork through them.
  4. While the cauliflower simmers, mince the garlic.
  5. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
  6. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
  7. When the cauliflower florets are ready, transfer them to a blender with a slotted spoon. Save the stock.
  8. Add the buttery minced garlic, almond milk (or Greek Yoghurt), lemon juice, onion powder, kosher salt, cracked black pepper and 1/2 cup of the boiled stock from the pot.
  9. Blend until smooth.
  10. You may want to gradually add another 1/2 - 1 cup of the stock from the pot to get more creaminess, but make sure to add it gradually — you don't want it to get runny.

* Yields 3-4 cups

Cassie @ Crumb Kitchen
    August 4, 2017 at 6:34 am Oooh girl I made this last night (stirred in a bit of nutritional yeast and fresh chopped kale too) to go with our fusilli and IT WAS SO GOOD. I even got seconds, and I rarely, rarely do that anymore with dinner dishes. The fiancé even said it was amazing, and he is terrified of hidden veggies/vegan food. Haha. Great recipe!
    Sean
    August 18, 2016 at 1:04 pm First off, kudos on the site tweaking. I'm really excited about the direction you're taking things. Second, there's really no such thing as too much garlic. I can't be the only person who cocks an eyebrow and scoff when a recipe calls for one clove of garlic. Third, I'm completely in love with the idea of this sauce. It's the kind of recipe that genuinely makes me go "Huh, I have never thought of food like this." And that, my friend, is a really great thing. So big ol' high five to you.
    Nicoletta @sugarlovespices
    August 17, 2016 at 12:59 pm Those pictures are beautiful, Dana. Great job on the redesign! Your cauliflower sauce is fantastic and you're right, the sauce is extremely versatile in many dishes, but it's also good on the spoon ;-)
      August 17, 2016 at 9:31 pm Thanks so much, Nicoletta! I've never made it and *not* eaten a couple of tablespoonfuls, that's for sure. Haha.
    Elaine @ Flavour and Savour
    August 17, 2016 at 12:29 pm Now that's a versatile sauce! So many different ways to use it! Love all the garlic.
      August 17, 2016 at 9:30 pm Thanks, Elaine! Garlic is the best. Haha. Totally adaptable, but I would never make this sauce without a ton of it.
    Cauliflower | Food is love, Love is food
    February 23, 2016 at 10:59 pm […] batch of sauce, for use in savory pies, on is for Cauliflower Cream Sauce from the (cleverly titled) “Eat-Zine”, Killing Thyme. This is a fantastic post with wonderful pictures and good writing, so you should definitely click on […]
    Vegetable and Ricotta Lasagna Filling - Killing Thyme
    November 17, 2015 at 5:01 pm […] with a vegetable and ricotta filling. The filling turned out really well, especially paired with my Cauliflower Cream Sauce which I served on top and ate by the spoonful later (sexy, I […]
    Mushroom Faux-sotto (Risotto) | Killing Thyme
    April 28, 2014 at 8:52 pm […] sauce I use in this recipe is my Cauliflower Cream Sauce, and you can find the recipe here. Is it a necessity? Yes. Unless you have an alternative for a healthy white sauce. In that case, […]
    A.
    April 12, 2014 at 7:08 am Reblogged this on Legit Low Carb Recipes and commented: I'm SO JAZZED to try this (yes, this is one of the rare occasions I repost a recipe that I haven't tried to make myself). Mostly because it would be perfect to use as a sauce if you were doing a low-carb PSMF -- throw it on some shiritaki noodles and BAM! Delicious. Even if you're just doing a regular ol' low carb diet or more conventional way of eating, there's pretty much no reason you can't incorporate this recipe into your life for added vegetables, reduced fat and extra zazz. (Unless you hate small amounts of butter, and if that is true, you have much bigger problems.)
      danakristen.b@gmail.com
      April 19, 2014 at 12:20 am I really hope you enjoy this as much as I did. I'm looking forward to making more soon. I think I may try a mushroom and rice dish with it!