Light Tuna and Tomato Pasta

Light Tuna Pasta 5This dish was inspired by one of those hodgepodge dishes in my house growing. It’s amazing what you can come up with when you’re ow on ingredients and decide to just throw a bunch of stuff together; sometimes it’s win, sometimes it’s fail. “Tuna pasta” was a hit, though. My Mom had her own version of the “tuna pasta”, and my Dad had his own version of the “tuna pasta without all that extra shit Mom puts in it” (by shit he meant vegetables, and in my Mom’s defense, her version was delicious). Now I have my version, which we’ll call Light Tuna and Tomato Pasta, and it’s just right. It’s light, but it has so. much. flavor. It’s also easy to whip together, so you can get a nutritious meal in 30 minutes or less. Oh, and leftovers are incredible. Some pasta dishes aren’t too awesome when reheated, but this one is! So make it, eat it for dinner, pack it up for your lunch the next day, and end things off with a self high-five.

If you’re not into tuna, you can omit it! This would still be a fab dish. But then again, if you’re not into tuna, you probably didn’t bother clicking on this recipe to check it out in the first place, so…

Light Tuna Pasta 2

Light Tuna Pasta 3

Light Tuna Pasta bowl

BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE ā™„
enter your e-mail + enjoy recipes as soon as they go live.
By entering your e-mail, you are opting in to receive updates from Killing Thyme

Serves 2

Light Tuna and Tomato Pasta

10Prep Time

15Cook Time

Save Recipe

• 1 lb linguini (can use spaghetti or fettuccine)
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 2 cloves of large garlic, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 5.6 oz can of light tuna, drained
  • 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
  • 2 cups of raw baby spinach, ribboned
  • 1/2 cup of frozen peas
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste

1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat.
  2. Simultaneously prepare your pasta in a separate pot as per the package instructions.
  3. Add the garlic and onions into the saucepan; simmer until fragrant and onions are slightly translucent, approx. 3-5 minutes. Stir often to avoid browning.
  4. Add the drained tuna, diced tomatoes, and Dijon. Hit it with some kosher salt and ground black pepper, and mix well.
  5. Allow to simmer, stirring often, for approx. 5 minutes or until mixture thickens a bit.
  6. Add the spinach and the frozen peas; stir to mix.
  7. Once the pasta is ready and drained, add it to the saucepan. Mix well until all of the noodles are coated.
  8. Serve right away.

Previous Post Next Post

• Reply Holly @ 3 Yummy Tummies February 12, 2016 at 11:30 pm

YUM…I love how easy and delicious this looks! I want your plates too!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:46 am

Thanks, Holly! The plates are from Pampered Chef–I just love them! Every bowl purchased helps the Feed America campaign šŸ™‚ Win/win!

• Reply Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy February 12, 2016 at 9:39 pm

That reminds me of tuna noodle casserole. You can never go wrong with a great pasta dish.

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:43 am

I’ve never had tuna noodle casserole! Most I’ve seen have been heavier/creamier than this dish, but I’m sure there are some similarities! This dish is super light.

• Reply Julia February 12, 2016 at 4:25 pm

This looks delicious! Love tuna, love pasta and have never ever combined the two. A first for everything! Am going to give this a try.

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:42 am

Thanks, Julia! I really hope you enjoy it!

• Reply Amanda C February 12, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I pinned this already but man-oh-man this looks great. Seriously, what is cheaper and more filling than a pasta dish featuring tuna? Love!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:42 am

Thanks, Amanda! It’s true, this is such a low-budge dish, not to mention easy and quick. It’s got everything going for it!

• Reply La Cuisine d'Helene February 12, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I haven’t made pasta with tune in such a long time, your recipe looks really quick to make and delish!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Helene! It’s super quick, and even more delicious! I hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a whirl.

• Reply Felesha February 12, 2016 at 7:24 am

Beautiful photography! Can’t wait to try this yummy looking dish!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

Thanks so much, Felesha! I hope you enjoy it šŸ™‚

• Reply Kaitie February 11, 2016 at 11:40 pm

this looks amazing, and simple to make! Love it!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:38 am

Thanks, Kaitie! Definitely simple šŸ™‚

• Reply Sam | Ahead of Thyme February 11, 2016 at 9:05 pm

YUM!! Pasta is the best food ever and this looks sooo tasty! And I love those plates, they are so cute!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:37 am

Thanks, Sam! I agree wholeheartedly about pasta–such a heartwarming and loving dish! The bowls are from Pampered Chef–I just love them! Every bowl purchased helps Feed America šŸ™‚

• Reply Manju | Cooking Curries February 11, 2016 at 8:09 pm

That looks really flavorful and delicious!

• Reply danakristen.b@gmail.com February 15, 2016 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Manju! It really is flavorful, despite the lack of thick sauce happening!