Menu
Food / Treats + Desserts

Red Wine and Cocoa Frozen Yogurt

I’m learning that frozen yogurt can, in fact, be just as good as ice cream… and maybe better.

Yeah, I said it.

See, I learned something today. I learned that if you use two cups of plain Greek yogurt as opposed to one cup of plain Greek yogurt and one cup of milk, you end up with a smooth consistency that is comparable to frozen custard. And if you’ve ever had frozen custard, you already know that it’s the best damn frozen treat in the world–hands down.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and you’re doing one of two things: spending it with someone you think is awesome, or spending it with your awesome self. Either way, this sexy treat is the perfect dessert for lovers of red wine and dark chocolate.

I’ll give you one guess for what it pairs well with.

Red Wine and Cocoa Frozen Yogurt

Red Wine and Cocoa Frozen Yogurt 2

[optin-cat id=”4760″]

Red Wine and Cocoa Frozen Yogurt

• 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt
  • 3/4 cup of red wine
  • 1/2 cup organic honey
  • 1/4 cup of natural unsweetened cocoa

GARNISHshaved dark chocolate

• In a large bowl, whisk together plain Greek yogurt, red wine, honey, and cocoa.
    • When thoroughly mixed, transfer to an ice cream machine and churn as per the manufacturer's instructions.
    • When done, transfer to a freezer-friendly container and freeze for 30 minutes.
    • Serve with shaved dark chocolate sprinkled on to.

Notes

Homemade frozen yogurt tends to get extra hard in the freezer, so I suggest taking it out 15 minutes prior to serving.
    Recipe yields 1 quart.

• […] may need to borrow an ice cream machine just to try this Red Wine & Coconut Frozen Yogurt from Killing […]

• […] isn’t your place? How about the Mediterranean? This frozen yogurt recipe blends Greek yogurt with honey and cocoa for the perfect end to a hot sunny […]

• […] 11. Red Wine and Cocoa Frozen Yogurt […]

• Mark, CompassandFork
      February 10, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Wow that is super easy! I love the idea of using frozen yogurt. And red wine makes it a little different.

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 5:04 pm

Don’t you love finding recipes with minimal ingredients? I guess I have to partly blame myself because I like complex flavors but recipes like this, with minimal ingredients, are such a nice treat, haha.

• Helen @ family-friends-food.com
      February 10, 2016 at 8:18 am

What a great flavour combination. I bet it tastes amazing!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Helen! It’s definitely delicious and the red wine and cocoa are nicely balanced. I feared one might come through more the other.

• Just Jo
      February 10, 2016 at 7:42 am

Wow that is a brave flavour combination! I have tried chocolate flavoured red wine before but never used it in a dessert. Very grown up and glamorous looking!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Thank you! I remember having a red wine years ago that was infused with blueberries and Belgian chocolate. I remember feeling super under the weather one night so I popped it open, sat on the couch, and drank it as I munched on chocolate covered cherries while binge-watching Netflix. It was pure bliss. The pairing always stuck out to me, so I was happy when this turned out.

• Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table
      February 10, 2016 at 6:52 am

What a great combination! I actually prefer frozen yogurt to ice cream (is that weird?) and I love that this has the wine-chocolate pairing going on! Such a lovely sweet treat!

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 4:30 pm

Thanks, Kathryn! I’m starting to sway more toward froyo myself. Especially done this way; the texture was so smooth! I’m looking forward to playing around with more flavors.

• Elizabeth
      February 10, 2016 at 2:41 am

Intriguing! Well this does sound rather lovely! I’ll have to give it a try.

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I hope you enjoy it!

• Sam | Ahead of Thyme
      February 9, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Wow! I need some red wine and cocoa frozen yogurt in my life! This looks soo good! Love your blog and photos :)

• danakristen.b@gmail.com
        February 10, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Thanks, Sam! This definitely is a deadly combo–and that’s coming from someone who could “take it or leave it” with both red wine and chocolate. I can’t imagine what this frozen yogurt would do to someone who loves both.